Sunday, October 01, 2006

Unselfish??

This thought struck me out of the blue. Is there anything like a truly unelfish act in this world? I happen to remember an episode of my favorite "F.R.I.E.N.D.S" in this regard. It is the episode where Joey and Phoebe wager on the same lines, Phoebe trying to prove that there is indeed something like a truly unselfish act and Joey discrediting all her attempts. I don't quite remember how this ends, but in my opinion, Phoebe was wrong.

To begin with, how does one define an unselfish act? Well, I would say, something which is not beneficial or good to oneself in any remotest sense. Am I right? And, as a human, you cannot remain indifferent when you perform an altrustic act. At the very least, you have a glowing sense of satisfaction and happiness. If it is a loved one you have helped, then there is the accompanying gratification of having been there. The bottom line of these arguments is that you end up feeling good about yourself through these "seemingly unselfish" acts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you go by your definition of what an unselfish act is, I think you are right. I however think this definition is too heavy-handed or harsh. If you go by the definition of selfish, which is -- concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself; arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others (as in selfish act), then an unselfish act is one where you act generously, in disregard to your own benefits/welfare and act primarily with other person's/people's concern in mind. The happiness or satisfaction you get is something I feel is secondary or a collateral effect. If however, this satisfaction is your primary focus and interest in the act, then, well, it is not really an unselfish act, is it? :)

Pritesh Jain said...

Dont keep any expectations, and accpet whatever you get in return...
thsts unselfishness in my definition.

Maddy said...

hmm,..wht i am doing is focussing on the result where as u guys have laid stress on the motive, which is right in its own ways i guess. thanks for the insight tho.