Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Much ado abt ..wht??

As I was skimming through the news this morning, I noticed that the science section was all about argument on demotion of Pluto. The astronomical circle, it seems, is all abuzz with this very "vital" issue these days. They are going all out to come up with a draft of uniform definitions and terms for galactic objects and phenomena across the world. Also included in this draft conference would be the judgement of fate of 3 other celestial bodies. If all goes well, Pluto would be retained as a planet and so would be these 3 other bodies. And so, the solar system as we have been taught to believe, would expand from 9 to 12 planets. Kudos to these brave astronomists! What a universe-saving war they are waging out!

Frankly, I fail to see the relevance or importance of these kinds of studies or discoveries in our human, earthly lives. What matters if Pluto is a planet or not, whether our solar system has 9 or 12 or 20 planets? Oh yeah, I forgot, the astrological formulae depend on these numbers and facts, dont they?! Call me narrow-minded, but my blood boils everytime I come across such news, to think of how much funding goes behind all these studies. When there is so much going on in this planet of ours, this seems a waste to my mind. Or maybe, their way of looking at this is, atleast there is no bloodshed involved, it is a peaceful, intellectual battle.

No comments: