Monday, August 07, 2006

Gone with the wind

This has been on the top of my all time favorite books ever since I first read it in my undergrad days. Captivated by the inimitable narration, I held on to every dialog, visualized every scene of the book. Rhett Butler and Scarlet O'Hara are undoubtedly one of the most memorable characters I have come across.

Personally, I am one of those who believe that a silver screen adaptation of a book, more often than not ,fails to do it complete justice. If sometimes, it is a part of the plot which is twisted, some other times it is the failure to bring about the essence of the book itself. For the same reason, I have avoided watching the movie versions of my favorite classics. Ofcourse there have been exceptions. Love Story was the only such example to me till I happened across a dvd of the Gone......

This movie is more than a fair adaptation of the book. The passionate performances of the cast brings the book and the characters to life. The period setting is immaculate and awe inspiring. The depiction of the civil war is as one expects. I specifically was enthralled by the performances of the lead actors and enjoyed every one of their tete-a-tete 's.

In short, after watching this movie, I have decided to reconsider my erstwhile apprehension and I am going all out to test whether this experience holds good for the other classics as well.

3 comments:

Josh said...

yuppa!
thts one book i cud never complete.. too much emphasis on details.. very boring

Maddy said...

sad for u!! mebbe its a typical guy's mentality...

Eternal Child said...

hey... my favorite book too... esp scarlett o hara's character.. it was awesome..!!! :)