Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A letter to my son

My dearest Naman,

Some of these are promises, some advice, but actually, these are just a few thoughts I want to share with you as a mom who is super excited about seeing you grow up into a self-respecting, happy and healthy individual.

- I will never ever raise my hands on you. This is a promise. I loathe with all my heart, those that strike another human being. This detestable action is nothing but the mark of shortcomings of the person inflicting it. There is nothing that a kind word of advice will not do that a slap on your face will accomplish. I firmly believe this. I refuse to believe that beating/hitting is a part of discipline. It is physical abuse, period. If anything, it gives rise to fear. And I want you to grow up to be a young man unbridled with fear of any kind, least of all, fear of your mom. I would want you to take a course of action knowing that you are doing the right thing rather than with the fear of what I, your dad or anybody else would say.

- Respect: Now here is another word which is grossly misunderstood in our Indian culture. In my opinion, respect and love are inseparable emotions. And more importantly, it is ALWAYS 2 sided. Asking questions, answering back, disagreeing with another's (whatever their age may be) point of view - none of these are tantamount to showing disrespect.

- I will strive to never answer any of your questions with - "Because I said so". Logic and reasoning should win the day. Oh! arguments - I believe we will have our share of them. There will be difference in how we see things, more often than not. I will try my best to explain my point of view, listen to yours and promise to correct mine if yours is more reasonable/practical and I would expect the same from you! I can see that this is not always going to be easy - especially for me - but I will give it my best shot.

- I want to be your best friend and confidant.I would want you to think of me whenever you feel the need to share something with somebody. Be it a problem at school/work or a crush or a heart-break - anything at all, you come to me without hesitation and with no fear of being rebuked or reprimanded. That's what I wish our relation to be - best friends.

With lots of love,
Amma.

9 comments:

rohan.rajiv18 said...

Very sweet! :)

Asha Joshi said...

This is the wish of every parent..especially mother...but does she succeed or get this...is the biiiiiig question mark..ALL THE VERY BEST...my dear........

Anonymous said...

This is the wish or rather a dream of every parent..especially mother's..but can it be a reality..a biiiiiiiig question mark..ALL THE VERY BEST..my dear..

Anonymous said...

All the BEST

Asha Joshi said...

ALL THE BEST

Anonymous said...

All the best

Eternal Child said...

loved the bit about respect. u'll make an awesome mom! :)

Rohan said...

btw tu dono haathon se maarne ka soch rahi thi kya.. :)

on a serious note - sweet letter. hope you never have to use any of your hands :). Even when he gets 80/100 in Computer Networking.

Anonymous said...

You should read Amy Chua's latest book and think again if you'd still wish to be such a mom.