Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bitter truth

All this time, I had faith. Not in the corrupt system but in basic human sense of ethics and morality. I have heard folks complain about trust issues - oh, in India getting this done would take ages, oh, in India you cant dream of doing this without getting duped or bribing or facing zillions of obstacles at every step - but pooh poohed such claims all along, branding the owners of such sentiments as firangi-lovers, paranoids and what not. What was I thinking? What did I base my confidence on? True, I am an Indian, have lived in India for the better part of my life. But am I qualified to comment on or repudiate such claims? Do I have experience in dealing with the "system" out there? The answer is a BIG NO! I will not go into the painful details but I will say this - for the past one month, we have been facing one nightmarish issue after another regarding an investment in Bangalore, right at the last minute. I feel so let down, I have no words for it. I hope I have not misled anyone based on my misplaced confidence.

On a related note, this experience makes me re-consider my whole "we will go back to India" stand. I can mentally prepare for the bad traffic conditions, power-cuts, water problems et al, prior experience prepares you for these things. What scares me is the thought that we would need to start worrying about things we take for granted here - like times when I need gas connection, telephone connection, have electricity issues and other basic necessities. I am not used to fighting with the system for such mundane needs. I am spoiled by how smooth and seamlessly such things get done here, in this part of the world. I have always maintained that there are pros and cons of living in either San Jose or Bangalore, Its just that right now, to my mind, the cons of living in Bangalore seem to outweigh any other parameter big time.

7 comments:

Asha Joshi said...

But in any case " I LOVE MY INDIA" We are like that only . And there lies a thrill also.Otherwise life is SAPPE-SAPPE.

Asha Joshi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rohan said...

Maddy, you ll get used to things wherever you stay. When I came here I missed India a lot. If you go back you ll miss this place. But eventually you ll be happy :)

Nanditha said...

Madhavi, I too often think of these challenges in India. The main drawback staying here in San Jose is that we can't be close to our parents as and when need be.

Maddy said...

@ma: I respectfully disagree. Life has enough colors and mix of emotions to make it FUN - without these additional headaches. I would not miss these "thrills" for one.
@Rohan: Agree with you there. It certainly gets tougher when you have a choice.
@Nanditha: That IS our single most important reason to go back.

Anonymous said...

U shud post often.. U write really well.. Simplicity is your forte..

Maddy said...

@Anon: Thanks!